Vegan Lemon and Blueberry Cake
The Birthday cake packed with probiotics
This delicious vegan lemon and blueberry cake is the ultimate birthday cake for those who prefer fruity cakes instead of chocolate. Easy, healthy and full of flavor. The custard on this cake is packed with probiotics and prebiotics which will help the nurture the gut.
3 ripe bananas
2 lemon juice
1 lemon zest
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of brown rice flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup almond milk mixed with 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp of flax seeds + 6 tbsp of warm water)
1 1/2 cups of fresh or defrosted frozen blueberries
2 cups of powdered sugar
3 tbsp almond milk
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 lemon zest
1 soy yogurt
4 tbsp chia seeds
2 cups blueberries
1/2 lemon juice
3 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 210ºC. Grease a baking pan with some olive oil and flour.
- Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix the blueberries with some flour, combine well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted coconut oil and sugar until well combined. Then add the lemon zest, almond milk mixture, lemon juice and vanilla and whisk until perfectly combined.
- Add the flax eggs to this wet mixture and keep whisking.
- Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until well combined.
- The last step is to add the mashed bananas to the mixture and the blueberries.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 45 – 55 minutes. Until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- I did it in 2 steps first a baked part of the mixture with the blueberries mixed in the dough and then I baked the top part and instead of mixing the blueberries inside the dough I put them on top that way when the cake starts to grow in the oven the blueberries will be on the top
Pour the sugar into a bowl and gradually add the almond milk and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined. If you like a more liquid consistency then add more liquid. Stir in lemon zest. Add some of this sugar glaze between the 2 cakes and the rest to decorate the whole cake.
Introduce the blueberries, soy yogurt, lemon juice, chia seeds and coconut sugar in a blender. Blend until the chia seeds are grounded. Leave it in the fridge for about 2 hours, until you get kind of a “mousse” texture. Once done add a layer of it between the two cakes and the rest use it to decorate the top of the cake